Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A windy day in Gwangju

The weekend after Korean New Year's, my boyfriend and I decided to go on a short trip somewhere. We both love going on one-day trips on weekends. Last summer we went somewhere almost every other weekend. But in winter it's too cold for that. However, last Sunday the weather outside looked so nice and sunny that we just had to go somewhere. So we decided to visit Gwangju.


Gwangju is the sixth largest city in Korea and it is located less than an hour south from Jeonju. We originally wanted to visit the Gwangju Biennale exhibition hall, but when we got there it was closed. I guess we should have checked online before going there, but we didn't care. Around the Gwangju Biennale there is a beautiful park and there were lots of families with children flying kites. It's been a while since I've seen so many kites. And I don't remember ever flying one. It looked really nice.

Luckily the folk museum was open, so we decided to look around. I really like Korean folk museums. They are pretty much all the same, but me and my boyfriend always have fun looking around. We saw displays of Korean food, clothes, dishes, games, festivals, weapons etc. We have this game that we like to play in museums. For example, if there is a display of five old dishes we each pick the one we like and then on the count of three we both point out the object to see if we choose the same one. Or, if there are male clothes displayed I pick one out for my boyfriend and he does the same for me with female ornaments and stuff. It might sound stupid, but it's fun. :)

The most fun part of the museum for me was the food. It looked so real and it was really fun discussing what each of us would eat and what not.


At the museum's gift shop we noticed they were selling kites and we couldn't resist. We also wanted to fly one so we bought one for 3000krw (around 3$). I thought it would be hard but it wasn't. It was so windy that it flew up in the sky without a problem. Actually, even before flying our kite I wondered how so many kites don't get all tangled up. And apparently sometimes they do, because that's exactly what happened to our kite. But we solved the problem quickly and then we decided to move a bit away from the museum where there were less people.


We let the kite as high as it could go and then we sat down on a park bench and enjoyed the view. It was fun, but really cold, so we didn't stay too long.

Lately the wind is really strong. And even though it's slowly getting warmer outside, the wind is still really cold. Koreans have a special word for this called kkot-sem-chu-ui that means the last cold weather before spring comes. And I couldn't believe it, but last night it snowed! I guess that was the last snow this winter. It won't be long till spring is here and we can finally spend more time outside and go on a picnic or something. I can't wait. :)

As always, thanks for reading my blog and feel free to post any comments. ^^

2 comments:

  1. Please put Gwangju and this Korean folk museum on a must see list when I come to Korea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andreja, you already have too much on your must see list lol

      Delete