Friday, September 5, 2014

Selka-bong

Selka (short for Self Camera) is what is called 'selfie' in English. I guess nowadays they are popular everywhere, not just Korea. They have been so popular here ever since I got to Korea. You can see people taking selkas everywhere: on the subway, bus, in the bathroom, restaurants... really everywhere. And I wasn't used to taking selkas before, but since when in Rome, you do as the Romans do, I also got addicted to taking selkas. Of course another reason for that might be the fact that I didn't own a smart phone before :)

Here is an example of my selkas:

(in the dormitory bathroom; at home after dying my hair; bored while waiting for the subway)

I know there are a lot of people who hate selkas. I haven't met anyone in Korea yet, but I can see some people complaining about them on Facebook. I don't have a problem with them and I don't see what the big deal is. I don't see anything wrong with people taking their own photos.

I take them a lot. Sometimes 'cause I'm just bored. I take a selka and I send it to my boyfriend. He always likes that. In fact, I think he started this. When he's not busy at work he takes selkas and sends them to me lol It's cute, I think. ^^ Other times I take them 'cause I like the way I did my hair or make-up that day... and why not. People are often too critical about their appearances, feeling self-conscious and insecure... isn't it better to look at the mirror and say "Man, I look good today!"? :)

Yesterday I went to Hanok village - a part of the city that looks like an old Korean town, with traditional Korean houses. It looks really nice.


And there I saw a guy selling this new product that is so popular in Korea these days: selka-bong or a selfie pod.
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=568299875

My boyfriend and I have seen a lot of people using them lately. We would always laugh at how stupid they look waving their phone on that stick. ^^ I remember us having this conversation at Boryeong just last week. I said: "now we're laughing at them, but next vacation we'll probably have our own selka-bong doing exactly the same thing".

So when I saw the guy selling them on the street in the middle of Hanok village, I texted my boyfriend saying: "guess what, they're selling those stupid selka sticks here! Should I buy one? hahaha" And I almost did end up buying one. Unfortunately the girl I was waiting to meet arrived too fast and my boyfriend replied too late so I couldn't buy one lol

 
They do look kind of stupid but when you think about it, they're really practical. I wouldn't use them for just myself (I'd feel a bit embarrassed) but it's great to take photos together with my boyfriend. There's not always a good place for using timer and you can't always bother people to take a photo for you. Not to mention it's not safe. I'd feel way too uncomfortable handing my smart phone to strangers just hoping they wouldn't run away with it or drop it and break it...

So yes, we might be laughing now, but I'm pretty sure we'll soon have our own (probably pink) selka-bong :)

What do you think? Do they sell selka-bongs where you live? Do you have one? :D

5 comments:

  1. Uauu…never heard about selka-bong. I think that if I would go out on the street with it and ask people what they think it is noone would know  I think it is practical but I don't know if I would use it If I am honest Iam not selfie enthisiast becuase I think I look so weird on selfie pics. Maybe I don't know how to hold my phone when taking photo because on other pictures I look kind of photgenic 

    Obviously here in Slovenia taking selfies in public is not as popular as in Korea or in other countries. Popular things come to Slovenia with delay and usually they come from the states  …I did not see any person taking photo in public such as station, bus, shop… I think the popularity of taking selfies will increase. I think nowadays youngsters take selfies at parties at home and maybe in occasions when someone has a new haircut. But I would not have anything against if I saw someone taking selfie in public just because he or she is bored  or just because…

    I do not take lots of selfies because of the reason I mentioned before. I take it becsuse I would like to show someone my new dress or haircut. I prefer taking gelfies (salfie featuring more than one person such as Ellen made on OScar's show )I take them when I go out with my friends –party or a trip or just drink and I we have fun together …
    We will see soon how far will selfie popularity come in our country. I think it is increasing 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see on your FB you're slowly getting used to taking selfies hehehe if you don't like how you look on the photos, try using another app. For example, I use camera360. It doesn't take good photos from far away, I guess it's meant for selfies. It has various filters to choose from and most of them make your skin look awesome. Try it out, it makes you look at least twice as pretty. :D

      Delete
  2. Then this selka-bong would be perfect hehe it's great when you use it together with a boyfriend :D

    Also, please share some make up tips with me :D I only became interested in make-up and skin care when I got to Korea. When I first came here I had 1 moisturizing cream with me and a small bag of make-up (a mascara, foundation, eyeliner, lipstick, eyeshadow and I think that's about it...) and now I have TONS of skin care and make-up products :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, thanks! I'll check it out! :)
    Right now I would love some tips on eye shadows. I got a whole palette of eye shadows from Etude House - remember my post of the VIP Kit?
    http://mypinketude.blogspot.kr/2014/08/princess-make-up-kit-vip-event.html
    So now I have 15 different colors of eye shadow and I'm not really sure how to use them all lol So I think a good eye makeup tutorial would be great! Any tips or recommendations will be highly appreciated :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you thank you thank you!!! :) Yes very useful, thank you :D I love both of the tutorial videos you posted and I already tried one. But I'm gonna have to buy some new brushes first! :) Especially for making that V part! When I put the dark shade there it just looked like I was dirty lol I don't have a good blending brush, but I managed somehow. It didn't look as good as in the video, but my boyfriend liked it and actually commented on it when he got back from work :)

    Thanks for a lot of useful tips too! I never really used much eye shadow before, probably 'cause I never really learned how lol I'll start practicing as soon as I get some brushes ;)

    ReplyDelete